News

Print
RSS

Bills Today: Why Benjamin's targets decreased after first drive

Posted Nov 14, 2017

Here's the Bills news of note for Nov. 14th.


1 - Why Benjamin’s targets decreased after first drive
The Bills wasted no time targeting Kelvin Benjamin during his first drive with the team on Sunday. After getting three targets in the game’s opening drive he seemingly vanished.

Quarterback, Tyrod Taylor, was pulled from the game with less than five minutes in the fourth quarter when it was well out of reach. Taylor’s last target to Benjamin came at the 11-minute mark in the first quarter. That left the newly acquired receiver without a target for well over three quarters.

“Well, coverage dictated that,” said offensive coordinator Rick Dennison. “They started out, had him one-on-one, we took our chances and didn’t make the plays.”

In that opening drive Benjamin reeled in one reception for nine yards. It was the first positive play from scrimmage for the Bills offense in the game. Dennison discussed during Monday’s press conference how the Saints were able to eliminate him from that point on.

“They started changing their two safety coverages, try to protect the guy on him I guess,” he said. “We tried to work some high-level levels with him and somebody underneath him and they kept dropping underneath. It’s up to me to get him in the right spot to get him the targets and catches.”

Benjamin finished the game as Buffalo’s leading receiver. He tallied three receptions for 42 yards. Dennison will attempt to use Benjamin on a more consistent basis against the Los Angeles Chargers in Week 11.

2 - Wood reflects after Sunday’s woes
Bills center, Eric Wood, has been with the team for nine years. Sunday’s sloppy showing was one of the larger defeats in his tenure, but as one of the team’s captains he’s looking at the positives.

Wood joined WGR 550 Sports Radio on Monday following the 47-10 loss to the New Orleans Saints. He acknowledged the two tough weeks, but won’t let that define this team.

“We haven’t given the fans a lot to be excited about the last two weeks,” he said. “Internally, we’ve played great football this year. We have to get back to that. Like I said, I’m confident in these guys that we’ll get back to that.”

Buffalo’s right in the midst of the playoff picture. They’re currently neck-and-neck with Jacksonville, Miami, Baltimore, and Oakland. With nine games left the Bills control their own destiny.

“We’ve had two tough weeks, but it’s a long season and we’ve played good ball this year so we can’t go into the tank at this point,” Wood said. “We’re sitting at 5-4. We have a lot of football ahead of us and a great opportunity still.”

3 - Dennison on Cadet: “I think he’ll get up to speed quickly.”
Running back, Travaris Cadet, was the most recent addition to Buffalo’s 53-man roster. Cadet was signed on Nov. 4, due to Taiwan Jones being placed on injured reserve.

Ultimately, the Bills coaching staff opted against activating Cadet in Sunday’s game against the Saints, his former team. Offensive coordinator, Rick Dennison, talked about the newest running back on Monday.

“We just had him for a couple of days last week. I think he’s got a good skill set. He catches the ball well,” he said. “I think he’ll do a fine job. Certainly just talking to him and at our install I think he’ll get up to speed quickly.”

Buffalo’s backfield had a resurgence earlier in the season, but they appear to be back to square one. The Bills rushed for 63 yards in Week Nine against the Jets and 69 yards on Sunday against the Saints.

Cadet’s speed could complement LeSean McCoy well. Backup running back, Mike Tolbert, doesn’t possess the speed to go east and west. Tolbert’s only tallied one rushing yard on six carries over the past two games. If Cadet comes along in practice this week there’s a solid chance he’ll be active against the Los Angeles Chargers.

SOCIAL MEDIA POST OF THE DAY

FEATURED PHOTOS