Wide receiver Sammy Watkins has been named NFL Offensive Rookie of the Month for October, the League announced on Wednesday.
Watkins is the first Bills player to win Offensive Rookie of the Month. LB Kiko Alonso is the last Bill to win NFL Rookie of the Month (Defense) in September 2013.
OFFENSE: WR SAMMY WATKINS, BUFFALO BILLS
- Watkins, a first-round selection (No. 4 overall) out of Clemson, led all rookies with 366 receiving yards, 19 receptions and a 19.26 yards per reception average in the month of October.
The Bills selected Sammy Watkins with the 4th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft. Here is a collection of photos of the newest Buffalo Bills wide receiver.
- He totaled three receiving touchdowns which are tied for the most among NFL rookies in the month of October (Martavis Bryant-Pittsburgh).
- He was the only NFL rookie with two 100-yard receiving games in the month.
- Watkins scored the game-winning touchdown in a win against Minnesota in week seven with a two-yard reception and helped set-up the game-winning field goal against Detroit in week five with a 20-yard reception with 21 seconds to go in the game.
- He became the first Bills rookie wide receiver to post consecutive 100-yard receiving games (week seven vs. Minnesota and week eight at NY Jets).
- In week seven, he became the first NFL rookie with 100-plus receiving yards and a game-winning touchdown catch with one second or less in the fourth quarter of a game since 2009.
- Watkins set a franchise record with a 52.3 yards per reception average in week eight against the NY Jets.
- 29 of his 38 catches this season have accounted for first downs.
- Watkins is the first Buffalo Bill to be named offensive rookie of the month.
- Watkins is the first Buffalo Bill to win NFL Rookie of the Month since Kiko Alonso (defense) in September 2013.