The Buffalo Bills travel to play the Detroit Lions at Ford Field on Sunday, October 5 with kickoff at 1 p.m. ET in their second of two straight road games.
Sunday's game will be the 10th meeting between the Bills and the Lions and the series is currently tied at 4-4-1. With a win over the Lions on Sunday, the Bills will:
• Win their first two games against an NFC opponent since 2011
BILLS-LIONS REGULAR SEASON SERIES
• Overall regular season record: 4-4-1
• Bills on the road at Lions: 1-3
• Last meeting at Lions: 10/15/2006, L 17-20
• First regular season meeting: 12/10/1972, T 21-21 at Buffalo
• Last regular season meeting: 11/14/2010, W, 14-12 at Buffalo
The Bills will return home to take on the New England Patriots in Week 6 with kickoff scheduled for 1 p.m. on Sunday, October 12.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR ...
WR Mike Williams
• Three receptions to record 225 for his career
RB C.J. Spiller
• One reception to become the 23rd player in Bills history with 150 receptions in his career
• 137 yards behind Willis McGahee for the seventh most rushing yards in franchise history (3,365)
RB Fred Jackson
• Two rushing touchdowns to become the fourth Bill with 30 or more in his career
• With next touchdown, will tie Joe Cribbs for #7 in Bills history with 36.
• Needs 13 catches to tie Peerless Price for 10th all-time in Bills history with 288
T Erik Pears
• On pace to play in his 90th career game
TE Scott Chandler
• Needs six receptions to become fourth Bills TE with 150 for his career
• Needs one receiving touchdown to become the fourth Bills TE with 15 or more in his career
CB Corey Graham
• Needs five passes defensed to tie career-high with 12 in a season
LB Brandon Spikes
• Needs three tackles to record 300 for his career
LB Keith Rivers
• On pace to start the 50th game of his career
DE Mario Williams
• 1.5 sacks to record 80.0 for his career
CB/PR Leodis McKelvin
• One punt return touchdown to set a new team record with four
• On pace to start 50th game of his career at CB
RB/KR C.J. Spiller
• Needs 92 kickoff return yards to record 1,500 for his career
K Dan Carpenter
• With three FG attempts, he would reach 50 as a Bill, which would qualify him as the Bills all-time FG accuracy leader. His current success rate of 91.49% (43-47) would pass Rian Lindell's 83.33% (225-270)
• Needs seven PATs to convert 200 for his career
BILLS-LIONS SERIES HIGHS
Bills: 273, O.J. Simpson 11/25/76 @ DET
Lions: 139, Dexter Bussey 10/28/79 @ DET
Bills: 190, Frank Lewis 1/28/79 @ DET
Lions: 169, Herman Moore 11/24/02 @ DET
Bills: 339, Joe Ferguson 10/28/79 @ DET
Lions: 351, Dave Krieg 11/24/94 @DET
• Bills Defensive Coordinator, Jim Schwartz, was the Head Coach of the Detroit Lions from 2009-2013. In 2012, he led the Lions back to the playoffs for the first time since 1999.
• Lions General Manager Martin Mayhew was drafted by the Buffalo Bills in the 10th round (262nd overall) of the 1988 NFL Draft.
• Buffalo Special Teams coach Danny Crossman held the same posi- tion in Detroit from 2010-2012.
• Todd Downing, quarterbacks coach of the Buffalo Bills, spent the past five seasons in Detroit. In his first year, Downing was an Offen- sive Quality Control Coordinator. The following four years, he worked exclusively with the quarterbacks.
• Lions RB Coach Curtis Modkins was Offensive Coordinator/Running Backs coach in Buffalo with the Bills from 2010-2012.
• Current DB coach of the Buffalo Bills, Donnie Henderson, was the defensive coordinator for Detroit in 2006 as he helped the Lions defense rank 10th in the NFL with 30 takeaways.
• Bills offensive line coach, Pat Morris, coached the men up front in Detroit from 2004-2005.
• Lions LB Ashlee Palmer played for the Buffalo Bills in 2009. He appeared in 14 games for the Bills and recorded 24 tackles, including 19 solo tackles.
• Lions RB Joique Bell was an undrafted free agent in 2010 by the Buffalo Bills.
• Lions Tight Ends Coach Bobby Johnson began his NFL career in Buffalo as the assistant offensive line coach from 2010-11.
• From 2008-2010, Lions Special Teams Coordinator, John Bonamego, held the same position in Miami, where his kicker was cur- rent Bills K Dan Carpenter. Bonamego helped Carpenter earn his first Pro Bowl selection in 2009.
• Bills DC Jim Schwartz was the DC of the Tennessee Titans when Lions LB coach, Gunther Cunningham, was coaching the linebackers in Tennessee from 2001-2003. Lions DL Coach, Jim Washburn, was Schwartz's DL coach in Tennessee as well between 2001-2008.
• Bills K Dan Carpenter and Lions RB Reggie Bush played together on the Miami Dolphins from 2011-2012. Bills WR Chris Hogan was on the Dolphins practice squad during that time span as well.
• Bills DB Corey Graham played in the same defense as Lions DB James Ihedigbo when the two roamed the secondary for the Baltimore Ravens from 2012-13.
• Bills Pro Bowl DE Mario Williams played with Lions QB Dan Orlo- vsky in Houston with the Texans from 2009-10.
• Detroit DB Cassius Vaughn played for the Indianapolis Colts in 2012 with Bills DE Jerry Hughes.
• Detroit S Don Carey, RB Montel Owens, DB Rashean Mathis and DT CJ Mosley all played alongside Bills T Erik Pears in 2010 for the Jacksonville Jaguars.
• Bills LB Brandon Spikes played with Lions S James Ihedigbo in New England with the Patriots in 2011.
• Bills RB Bryce Brown played with Detroit Lions DE Darryl Tapp from 2010 until 2012 with the Philadelphia Eagles.
• Bills WR Mike Williams played for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers with Lions QB Dan Orlovsky in 2012 and 2013.
• At the University of Wisconsin, Bills G Kraig Urbik played with Lions LB DeAndre Levy from 2005-2008.
• Lions QB Matthew Stafford and Bills DE Jarius Wynn both played for the Georgia Bulldogs between 2005 and 2008, with Bills T Cordy Glenn joining them in 2008.
• Bills S Da'Norris Searcy played alongside Lions G Garrett Reyn- olds at North Carolina from 2007-08 and Lions TE Eric Ebron in 2010.
• Lions rookie T Cornelius Lucas paved the way for Bills RB Bryce Brown when they played alongside one another at Kansas State in 2009 and 2010.
• Bills RB Anthony Dixon and Lions DB Darius Slay played at Missis- sippi State together in 2009.
• Lions Director of Special Projects, Evan Rothstein, was a quality control coordinator at Syracuse University from 2010-2011 when Bills HC Doug Marrone was coaching the Orange.
• Lions Running Back Coach Curtis Modkins worked with Bills Head strength and Conditioning Coach Eric Ciano from 2005-07 at Georgia Tech. Modkins coached the running backs while Ciano was the Director of Player Development.