ORCHARD PARK, NY – The National Football League announced Wednesday that DT Marcell Dareus has been named AFC Defensive Player of the Week.
This is Dareus' first player of the week award. Dareus is the first Bills defender to win defensive player of the week since Mario Williams in Week 7 last season.
Below is a summary of Dareus' performance against the Detroit Lions last week:
• Produced a career-high 3.0 sacks including one sack-fumble in the Bills' 17-14 win over Detroit.
• His 3.0 sacks are the most by an AFC player in the 2014 season.
• The game marked his fourth career multi-sack game.
• He also has a sack in each of his last three consecutive games.
• Added five tackles on the day and anchored a defensive effort that held Detroit to 69 rushing yards, nine percent (1-11) third down conversion percentage and zero points in the second half.
• In his fourth season from Alabama, this is Dareus' first career Defensive Player of the Week Award.
• He is the third Bills player to win an AFC player of the week award this season joining special teams award winners DAN CARPENTER (Week 1) and C.J. SPILLER (Week 2).