Skip to main content

Simpson has MRI; Hardy tweaks hamstring

Ko Simpson was not in attendance at Buffalo's Thursday evening practice as he went to get tests on his surgically repaired left ankle.

"Ko went and had that foot tested and pictures taken, an MRI and everything," said head coach Dick Jauron. "It was so we could put his mind at ease and our own about it. I think we've eliminated any real serious stuff so now we just work through the soreness."

On Tuesday night Simpson was pulled out of practice early after feeling a pins and needles sensation in his left ankle. Simpson said he thought he would be alright, but apparently the ankle was not improving in his eyes, though he participated in practice Wednesday. So to eliminate any doubts he may have had the team had Simpson undergo an MRI.

When asked if the tests on Simpson's tests were negative Jauron said.

"As far as I know."

Jauron however, added that he did not yet talk to the doctors.

In Simpson's absence George Wilson filled the starting free safety role.

After missing almost the entire 2007 season with a broken ankle Simpson is still trying to clear a bit of mental hurdle with his ankle now that the pads are on and live football is drawing nearer. But Jauron doesn't think that's anything unusual.

"It's natural for someone coming off an injury like that," said Jauron. "He's going to be a little tentative for a little while until he gets into and out of a couple of games."

Hardy sits
Rookie wide receiver James Hardy sat out Thursday night's practice after feeling some tightness in the back of his leg.

"We were warming up and I sort of tweaked my left hamstring a little bit," said Hardy. "Nothing major. After talking with the trainers they said that maybe I should sit out so I don't pull and miss two to three weeks."

"They stretch before they come out and it was tight then and they don't want to take any chances," said Jauron of the training staff. "Hopefully that won't be long, but you never know."

Though Hardy understands he has to be careful he fully plans to be practicing Friday.

"It's a marathon not a sprint and I want to be in the race so I'm just trying to put in the time the best way I can and with all the practices and these long legs that I have it's sort of hard to get used to it, but I'll be fine," he said. "It's nothing major and I'll be back tomorrow."

Jauron called the minor setback unfortunate as Hardy has made positive strides in his game the last few days.

"I thought he was starting to play faster and that's the big thing in our business, you have to play physical and fast," said Jauron. "And he looked like he was starting to get it. He's been working awfully hard. It's just disappointing that he couldn't practice tonight."

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.