BILLS MAKE FIRST ROAD TRIP OF '13
The Buffalo Bills will make their first road trip of the 2013 season this week for an AFC East match-up at the New York Jets on Sunday, September 22nd. Kickoff is set for 4:25 PM ET. Sunday's game will mark the 105th regular season meeting between Buffalo and New York.
With a win over the Jets on Sunday, the Bills will:
• Win their first road game against the Jets since 2009 (10/18, 16-13)
• Head Coach Doug Marrone would become the second head coach in team history (Kay Stephenson - 1983) to win two of their first three games
BILLS-JETS REGULAR SEASON SERIES
• Overall regular season record: 54-50
• Bills on road at Jets: 25-27
• Last meeting on road: 9/9/12, L 28-48
• First regular season meeting: 9/11/1960, L 3-27 at New York Titans
• Last regular season meeting: 12/30/12, W 28-9 at Buffalo
Buffalo will return to Ralph Wilson Stadium in Week Four of the 2013 season and host the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday, September 29th at 1:00 PM ET.
Buffalo and New York will meet for the 105th time in the regular season this week. The Bills hold a 54-50 record in their previous 104 meetings against the Jets. Sunday's game will mark the 53rd regular season away game for Buffalo at New York (25-27). The two teams have met 29 times in the month of September, with the Bills defeating the Jets 15 times.
BILLS-JETS SERIES HIGHS
Bills: 243, Cookie Gilchrist 12/8/1963 @ BUF
Jets: 210, Thomas Jones 10/18/2009 @ NYJ
Bills: 255, Jerry Butler 9/23/1979 @ BUF
Jets: 180, Don Maynard 12/19/1965 @ NYJ
Bills: 367, Joe Ferguson 9/23/1979 @ BUF
Jets: 370, Ken O'Brien 12/8/1985 @ BUF
• Several members of Buffalo's coaching staff had previous coaching stints with the Jets: Bills HC Doug Marrone: OL coach 2002-05, DC Mike Pettine: DC 2009-12, Asst. DB Coach Samson Brown: Coaching Asst. 2010-11, DB coach Donnie Henderson: DC 2004-05, LB coach Jim O'Neil: DQC and DB coach 2009, Asst. DB 2010-11, DL coach Anthony Weaver: Asst. DL 2012.
• Bills LB Marcus Dowtin entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent with the Jets in 2012.
• New York CB Ellis Lankster played in 10 games for Buffalo during the 2009 season and was a seventh-round selection of the Bills.
• Buffalo Director of Pro Personnel Kelvin Fisher joined the New York Jets as a free agent in 1992.
• Bills National Scout Chuck Cook was a member of the Jets training camp following his collegiate career.
• New York OL coach Mike Devlin was selected in the fifth-round of the 1993 NFL Draft by the Bills, and appeared in Super Bowl XXVIII.
• Jets QB coach David Lee held the same position with the Bills in 2012.
• Jets college scout David Hinson worked in scouting for the Bills from 2000-04. He received a bachelor's degree in business management at the University of Buffalo, where he played tailback.
• Bills WR Chris Hogan is a native of Ramapo, NJ and played one year of college football at Monmouth University.
• Buffalo LB Jamaal Westerman played collegiately at Rutgers.
• Jets GM John Idzik's first coaching assignment came in 1982 as receivers coach at the State University of New York at Buffalo.
• Bills DC Mike Pettine coached with Jets HC Rex Ryan in New York and also in Baltimore. Pettine served as Ryan's defensive coordinator from 2009-12. He and Ryan coached together in Baltimore where Pettine first served as coaching and video assistant (2002), coaching assistant and quality control coach (2003), defensive assistant (2004) and outside linebackers coach (2005-08) while Ryan was the defensive line coach (1999-2004) and then the defensive coordinator (2005-08) of the Ravens.
• Bills DB coach Donnie Henderson also coached with Ryan in Baltimore when he was the Asst. DB coach (1999) and DB coach (2000-03) at the same time Ryan was DL coach (1999-2004).
• Bills STC Danny Crossman coached Jets RB Mike Goodson while at Carolina in 2009, when he held the same position with the Panthers.
• Crossman also coached Jets CB Aaron Berry (2010-11), P Robert Malone (2011) and G Stephen Peterman (2010-12) in Detroit when he served the same role with the Lions.
• Bills OL coach Pat Morris coached with Jets DL coach Karl Kunbar in Minnesota. Morris and Kunbar served the same positions with the Vikings.
• Morris also coached with Jets OC Marty Mornhinweg in San Fransisco. Morris was the 49ers' TE and Asst. OL coach (1997-98) and OL coach (1999-03), while Mornhinweg was the OC and QB coach.
• Bills C Eric Wood blocked for Jets RB Bilal Powell at Louisville in 2007.
• Buffalo RB C.J. Spiller (2006-09) and S Jonathan Meeks (2009-12)played with Jets LB Ricky Sapp (2006-09) at Clemson.
• Bills SS Da'Norris Searcy was a teammate of Jets DE Quinton Coples from 2008-10 at North Carolina.
• Buffalo LB Jerry Hughes and Jets WR Jeremy Kerley played at Texas Christian together from 2007-09.
• Bills DT Alan Branch (2004-06) manned the Michigan defense with Jets LB David Harris (2004-06).
• Bills DT Alex Carrington played with Jets LB Demario Davis at Arkansas State from 2007-09.
• Bills RB Tashard Choice was a Georgia Tech teammate of Jets S Dawan Landry at Georgia Tech in 2005
• Buffalo LS Garrison Sanborn and Jets CB Antonio Cromartie were teammates at Florida State from 2003-05.
• Bills OL Sam Young (2006-08) played alongside Jets CB Darrin Walls (2006-09) at Notre Dame.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR ...
Head Coach Doug Marrone
• With a win, will join Kay Stephenson (1983) as the second head coach in team history to win two of their first three games
QB EJ Manuel
• Two touchdown passes to pass Joe Ferguson (1973 - 4) for the third-most among Bills rookie quarterbacks in a single-season
• 29 completions to move into fourth among Bills rookie quarterbacks (Joe Ferguson, 1973: 73)
RB C.J. Spiller
• One 100-yard rushing game for his eighth such game and to break a tie for sole possession of eighth-most in team history (Antowain Smith, 7)
• 75 receiving yards to record 1,000 his his career RB Fred Jackson
• Needs 85 yards from scrimmage to pass Joe Cribbs (6,228) for fifth-place on the all-time Bills chart
• 118 rushing yards to surpass Joe Cribbs (4,445) for third in team history
WR Stevie Johnson
• Will extend his current streak of consecutive games with a catch to 51 with a reception on Sunday
• A touchdown catch on Sunday to record one in each of the first three games of the season for the third straight year
• 10 catches to move into 11th in team history (Frank Lewis - 269)
• 115 receiving yards to reach 3,500 in his career
TE Scott Chandler
• One catch to record 90 in his NFL career
C Eric Wood
• Will play in and start the 50th game of his career on Sunday
DE Mario Williams
• 2.0 sacks to register 70.0 in his NFL career
DT Kyle Williams
• 0.5 a sack to become the 11th Bill with 20 or more in their career
CB Justin Rogers
• Will set a personal single-season best of two interceptions with his next pick (1 in 2011, 2012 and 2013)
FS Jairus Byrd
• One multi-interception game to become the third Bill with five multi-pick games (Tom Janik - 6 and Billy Atkins - 5)
P Shawn Powell
• Two punts inside-the-20 to match Bill Atkins' mark of 29 for ninth-most in team history
CB/PR Leodis McKelvin
• 45 punt return yards to move into fourth in team history (Kevin Williams - 700)