Skip to main content

Buffalo Bills in Toronto on August 14, 2008

Residents of the United States travelling to Toronto for the Buffalo Bills game on August 14, 2008 are reminded of the following tips:

Ensure you have proper identification
To enter Canada you must have identification that proves your citizenship. Proper identification includes a birth certificate, a passport, a permanent residence card, a citizenship card or a certificate of Indian status. Government photo ID, such as a driver's licence, should also be available to establish your identity. Always make sure you carry proper identification for yourself and any children travelling with you, and have it readily available to show the officer.

Cross at the least busy Border CrossingIn Niagara - Fort Erie, there are four border crossings in close proximity: Queenston - Lewiston Bridge, Rainbow, Whirlpool and Peace Bridges. So check the CBSA Web site at or call 1-800-715-6722 to determine which bridge is the least busy. The Whirlpool is a NEXUS only Bridge so you must be a NEXUS member to use this bridge. Consider getting your NEXUS card as the Whirlpool Bridge never has any backups. It is important to note that the NEXUS card is also an accepted alternative document to the passport under the U.S. Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI).

Avoid restricted/prohibited items
Handguns and weapons like mace and pepper spray are prohibited from entering Canada. As well, some fruits, vegetables, meats and plants cannot be brought into Canada. More detailed information is available by calling 1-800-461-9999 or outside Canada 1-204-983-3500

Currency and Monetary Instruments must be declaredUnder the Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing Act, there are no restrictions on the amount of money that you can bring into or take out of Canada, nor is it illegal to do so. However, you now have to report to a CBSA officer amounts equal to or greater than CAN$10,000 that you are bringing into or taking out of Canada. Monetary instruments include coins, foreign or Canadian bank notes and securities such as travellers' cheques.

Information for Visitors to Canada
For additional information, check the CBSA Web site at

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.