Location: Hard Rock Stadium, Miami, F.L.
Regular season records: Buffalo (4-8), Miami (6-6)
In a nutshell:
The Bills were not able to cap off a deceivingly-effective offensive outing with a win, dropping their Week 13 matchup with the Dolphins by a score of 21-17.
Buffalo finished the game with 415 net yards, 366 of which can be directly attributed to quarterback Josh Allen. The rookie signal caller finished the game with 18 completions for 231 yards and two touchdowns. He also picked up 135 yards on the ground.
Zay Jones was Allen’s most reliable target on the day, finishing the game with four receptions for 67 yards. He was on the receiving end of both of Allen’s touchdown passes.
Buffalo’s defense constructed another solid outing on Sunday, holding the Dolphins to just 175 net yards. Lorenzo Alexander, Trent Murphy, and Rafael Bush all recorded sacks in the loss.
With the loss, the Bills fell to 4-8 on the season.
Bills vs. Dolphins: Game Day Photos Week 13
Photos from Week 13 of the 2018 season as the Buffalo Bills take on the Miami Dolphins on the road.
How it went down:
- The Dolphins relied on Ryan Tannehill’s arm out of the gate, asking the seven-year veteran to throw the ball five times on their opening drive. The game plan worked out, as Tannehill completed four passes for 43 yards on the 10-play drive. The 30-year-old found DeVante Parker in the end zone to cap off the 75-yard series (7-0).
- A Minkah Fitzpatrick-pass interference penalty gave the Bills a fresh set of downs in the red zone early in the second quarter. Josh Allen quickly connected with Zay Jones in the back of the end zone to give Buffalo its first score of the day. Miami held onto its lead after Stephen Hauschka missed the extra point (7-6).
- Miami regained possession inside Buffalo territory after Isaiah McKenzie muffed the ball on a punt return. The Dolphins continued to work the ball down the field, eventually finishing the drive off with a three-yard touchdown pass to Kenyan Drake (14-6).
- Buffalo was methodical on its first drive of the second half, a 10-play, 79-yard series that ended in three points. Allen picked up 17 yards on the ground early in the drive before connecting with Patrick DiMarco on a 38-yard pass to put the Bills in Miami territory. The series stalled out after the big play, however, and the Bills settled for a Hauschka field goal (14-9).
- The Bills took their first lead of the day early in the fourth quarter. Buffalo covered a lot of ground on the six-play series, as they started the scoring drive at their own 17-yard line. Allen finished the drive off with a 25-yard touchdown pass to Jones and found him again on the two-point conversion (17-14).
- Defensive penalties cost the Bills the lead midway through the fourth. A Matt Milano pass interference penalty gave the Dolphins a free 25 yards, and a Jordan Phillips taunting call got Miami 11 yards closer to the goal line. Tannehill quickly found Kenny Stills in the end zone to retake the lead (21-17)
- Josh Allen rushed for 135 yards in the game, breaking the franchise record for most rushing yards by a quarterback in a single game.
- Bills DT Jordan Phillips made his return to Miami after being waived by the Dolphins in Week 5. He recorded three tackles and one pass deflection.
- Matt Milano led the Bills in tackles on the day, finishing the game with eight.
- FB Patrick DiMarco caught a 38-yard pass on Sunday, his longest reception as a Bill.
- Rookie OG Ike Boettger made his NFL debut on Sunday.
- Inactive for the game were QB Derek Anderson, WR Ray-Ray McCloud, CB Ryan Lewis, OG Vladimir Ducasse, OT Conor McDermott, OG John Miller, and TE Logan Thomas.