There are no preseason games this summer, but with padded practices set to begin at One Bills Drive on Monday, Aug. 17, here are five players to keep tabs on as the regular season inches closer.
1. Mario Addison – The veteran defensive end is the kind of addition that's expected to give Buffalo's sack total a major shot in the arm. Though the defensive line rotates heavily by design, will Addison perform at a level where he ultimately unseats veteran incumbent Trent Murphy at left defensive end?
2. Stefon Diggs – The team's headline offseason addition is someone every Bills fan on the planet wants to know more about as training camp gets real. The question to be answered is how are he and quarterback Josh Allen syncing up in the passing game with less than four weeks until the opener?
3. A.J. Epenesa – Buffalo's top draft choice has vets in front of him, so his role figures to be rotational from the outset. The thing to keep an eye on is how diversified his role will be. Will they let him master defensive end, or does the coaching staff kick him inside for obvious passing situations?
4. Josh Norman – The veteran is looking to reclaim his status as a high -end corner, but first he'll have to compete directly with Levi Wallace for the starting right cornerback position. A fierce practice competitor, it won't take long for Norman to be noticed.
Scroll to see the top shots from Buffalo's walk-through on Wednesday, Aug. 12.
5. Brian Winters – The team's newest guard is an experienced veteran. It wouldn't be surprising to see him lining up with the starting unit at right guard, at least rotationally, from the beginning. With Jon Feliciano out indefinitely the right guard spot is suddenly a position of competition.