In a nutshell:
Buffalo's turnovers would be their downfall in a 16-10 loss to the New England Patriots. Quarterback Josh Allen threw three interceptions and Matt Barkley threw one with under two minutes remaining.
Barkley, 9-15 for 127 yards, entered the game early in the fourth quarter after Allen was taken out on a helmet-to-helmet hit from Patriots corner Jonathan Jones.
In the final offensive drive of the game for Buffalo, Barkley and the Bills were driving until a pass intended for John Brown was tipped and intercepted by Jamie Collins. Without any timeouts, the Patriots were able to kneel out the clock.
Defensively, the Bills were formidable all day. Buffalo limited the Patriots offense to nine points and Tom Brady was 18-39 for 150 yards and an interception. The Bills forced the Patriots into eight three-and-out possessions.
What put New England over the top was a blocked punt early in the first quarter that was returned for a touchdown.
Tremaine Edmunds finished with 11 tackles and three players (Jordan Poyer, Levi Wallace and Matt Milano) had six each to lead the team.
In total, the Patriots had 11 first downs and only 224 yards of total net offense. Buffalo produced 23 first downs and 375 net yards.
How it went down:
- After a Josh Allen interception, the Patriots took over at the New England 31. The Bills defense put the Patriots offenses into multiple third-and-long situations but they converted both, including a 26-yard completion to James White. Brandon Bolden took the ball on an end around from four yards out for the score. Stephen Gostkowski missed the extra point. 0-6
- New England blocks Corey Bojorquez's punt. Returned 11 yards for the score. Gostkowski's kick was good. 0-13
- Micah Hyde's interception of Brady in the end zone fueled a Bills drive that led to their first points of the game. Frank Gore had a 41-yard run to put the Bills in scoring position. Stephen Hauschka made a 46-yard field goal. 3-13
- The Bills came out firing to start the second half. After a rough first two quarters, Allen connected on all six of his passes and the Bills reached the end zone in nine plays going 75 yards. Allen scored on a one-yard sneak for the touchdown. Hauschka made the extra point. 10-13
- Buffalo made a goal line stand and held New England to a field goal after an Allen interception. Gostkowski hit from 23 yards. 10-16
Bills inactives: WR Robert Foster, CB Taron Johnson, RB Devin Singletary, LB Corey Thompson, C/G Spencer Long, T Conor McDermott, TE Tyler Kroft
Patriots inactives: OL Caleb Benenoch, OL Korey Cunningham, QB Cody Kessler, DL Byron Cowart, CB Joejaun Williams, LB Dont'a Hightower, RB Damien Harris
With his 41-yard run in the second quarter, Frank Gore became just the fourth player in NFL history to rush for 15,000 yards. The other three (Emmit Smith, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton) are in the Hall of Fame.
Josh Allen's touchdown at 10:37 in the third quarter was the first offensive touchdown scored against the Patriots defense this season. The last touchdown allowed by the Patriots in the regular season dates back to Week 16 of the 2018 season.
Matt Barkley entered the game early in the fourth quarter for an injured Josh Allen. Allen did not return and was evaluated for a head injury.
Tickets distributed were 70,317