In a nutshell:
The Buffalo Bills defeated the Carolina Panthers 27-14 for their second win of the preseason.
The Buffalo offense was locked-in from the start. The first-team offense scored on each of its first two drives to give the Bills a 10-0 lead by the end of the first quarter. Matt Barkley and the second team followed it up with a touchdown of their own to end the half on a nine-yard strike to Duke Williams.
Allen and Barkley combined to go 17-21 for 212 yards and one touchdown against the Panthers' top defensive units.
Deon Lacey was active on defense, finishing with seven combined tackles and Levi Wallace held his own against the Panthers' speedy Cutis Samuel. But, the defense was strong as a whole. The Bills didn't allow a touchdown until late in the fourth quarter and coasted to victory.
How it went down:
- Buffalo marched down the field quickly on its first drive of the game. Allen connected on six of his eight passes to move the Bills down to the Carolina 12-yard line. Stephen Hauschka knocked in the 30-yard field goal to give Buffalo the first points of the game. (3-0)
- Andre Roberts returned a punt 37 yards to give the Bills great starting field position at the Carolina 35. Allen stayed hot passing and went 3-for-3 for 41 yards during the drive after a holding penalty pushed Buffalo back to the Carolina 43. LeSean McCoy needed two tries to get his first touchdown of the preseason from the goal line. Hauschka's kick was good. (10-0)
- Carolina quarterback Will Grier threw a pass intended for Torrey Smith. It was picked off and returned 70 yards by Kevin Johnson. Hauschka's kick was good. (17-0)
- On a drive extended by penalties, Carolina was able to get it to the Buffalo 22 where Joey Slye made a 40-yard field goal to give them their first points of the game. (17-3)
- With 1:46 left in the half, Matt Barkley and Isaiah McKenzie connected on a 37-yard catch and run to move Buffalo to Carolina's 38. TJ Yeldon followed it up with a 16-yard carry and 10 yard catch to move Buffalo to the Carolina 11. Duke Williams leaped up and twisted in the air to bring down his first touchdown from 9 yards out. Hauschka's kick was good. (24-3)
- Slye made a 54-yard field goal as time expired in the first half. (24-6)
- Christian Wade nearly did it again by taking a dump-off pass 47 yards down to the Carolina two-yard line to convert a 3rd and 10 for the Bills. Buffalo's offense stalled at the goal line and Chase McLaughlin hit a 23-yard chip shot to. (27-6)
- Rashad Ross scored the final score of the game on a nine-yard touchdown reception from Taylor Heinicke. (27-14)
- Cole Beasley caught every pass thrown his way from Allen. The two connected for five completions for 44 yards.
- CB Cam Lewis was ruled out for the rest of the game with a concussion after an injury suffered in the second quarter.
- Notable players who did not play included T Ty Nsekhe, C Mitch Morse, WR John Brown, RB Frank Gore, LB Corey Thompson, C Russell Bodine, OT Conor McDermott, TE Jason Croom, TE Dawson Knox.
- C Ryan Bates played center on the second-team offensive line despite being signed less than a week before Friday's game.
- WR Duke Williams and CB Kevin Johnson each scored their first touchdown for the Buffalo Bills.
- Up next: The Bills travel to Detroit to take on the Lions at Ford Field for their third preseason game. Kickoff is scheduled for Friday at 8 p.m.