In a nutshell:
The Buffalo Bills were resilient on Sunday. The Bills came back from a 16-point deficit and scored 17 unanswered points to upset the New York Jets at MetLife Stadium 17-16.
The Bills struggled early on. Josh Allen had four turnovers in the first half, Frank Gore was tackled for a safety and the Jets had a pick-six. Buffalo didn’t score until there was 3:52 remaining in the third quarter.
But, Buffalo’s defense was as strong as it has ever been. The Jets offense was stifled on nearly every drive. Consistent three-and-outs and punts by Lachlan Edwards were the story of the first half. The Jets led 6-0 at halftime but those points weren’t from the Jets offense.
Buffalo’s pass rush dominated the Jets o-line and sacked Sam Darnold four times. Darnold’s long pass of the day was for 19 yards and the longest run for the Jets was 12 by Le’Veon Bell.
Allen and the Bills came alive in the second half. Buffalo leaned on rookie Devon Singletary and he showed every bit of why he was drafted in the third round. Singletary produced 70 rushing yards on four carries and added 28 yards receiving.
Allen threw for 254 yards mainly attacking short and intermediate routes, still his longest pass of the day was his most important. Allen found John Brown for 38 yards and the score to give Buffalo the lead with 2:55 left. Hauschka was money and gave Buffalo the lead and the eventual win.
How it went down:
- Josh Allen’s pass was tipped up by intended target Cole Beasley and intercepted by Jets CJ Mosley. Mosley returned interception 17 yards for the touchdown. Kaare Vedvik missed PAT. 0-6
- Frank Gore tackled for a loss of two yards and a safety. 0-8
- The Jets took the ball from their own 40 after the safety and scored their first offensive touchdown of the game. New York leaned on Le’Veon Bell to march them down the field. Darnold and Bell connected for 9 yards to score on third and goal. Darnold to Bell for the two-point conversion. 0-16
- Buffalo scored its first points of the 2019 NFL season on a 43-yard field goal from Stephen Hauschka. Buffalo’s drive was extended into field goal position after a roughing the passer penalty from the Jets Henry Anderson on 3rd & 10. 3-16
- The Bills first touchdown of the game came with 10:27 left in the fourth quarter. Allen scrambled for three yards and the score. On the drive, Devin Singletary had 55 all-purpose yards. Hauschka extra point is good. 10-16
- Josh Allen fired a 38-yard strike to John Brown and the Bills took the lead. Allen found Zay Jones for 20 yards and Singletary for 12. Hauschka kick was good. 17-16
- Bills inactives: WR Andre Roberts, TE Tyler Kroft, S Dean Marlowe, S Jaquan Johnson, OL Ike Boettger, OL Conor McDermott, OL Ryan Bates
- Jets inactives: RB Bilal Powell, DB Bennett Jackson, DL John Franklin-Myers, OL Chuma Edoga, DL Folorunso Fatukasi, DL Nathan Shepherd, DL Kyle Phillips
- Cole Beasley, John Brown and Tommy Sweeney all recorded their first career receptions for the Bills in the first half.
- Jerry Hughes tied Mario Williams for sixth place in franchise history with 43.0 sacks.
- Taron Johnson left the game in the third quarter with a hamstring injury. Did not return.
- Devin Singletary’s first career carry came in the third quarter and went for 20 yards.
Scroll through to see photos of all the action as the Bills take on the Jets during opening weekend of the 2019 football season.