April 5, 1974 - BILLS INTRODUCE NEW LOGO
The Bills announced a major change in the team's logo for the 1974 season. Gone was the red standing buffalo that had been the team's mark since 1962. It was replaced by a blue charging buffalo with a red streak, the crowning achievement of artist Stevens Wright.
How the Bills got their name:
Following the 1946 season, in an effort to generate more fan interest and distinguish the football team from the city's minor league baseball and hockey teams, which also bore the name "Bisons," the team ran a contest to select a new name. Over 4,500 entries were submitted, and "the Bills" won out over "Bullets," "Nickels" and "Blue Devils." Several contestants suggested the winning name, but James F. Dyson was named the winner of the $500 prize based on his essay comparing the team to a band of "Buffalo Bills." He wrote that, while the legendary Indian Scout William "Buffalo Bill" Cody helped trailblaze the American Frontier, the football team (owned by the president of Frontier Oil) was opening a new frontier in Buffalo sports.