1. Where Sean McDermott ranks on this list of top NFL head coaches
On this week's The Ringer NFL Show, host Kevin Clark discussed the NFL's 10 best coaches with The Ringer's Danny Kelly and Rotoworld's Patrick Daugherty. Bills head coach Sean McDermott made Clark's list at No. 10. The group praised McDermott for his defensive acumen. Clark thinks McDermott is one of the best because of how quickly he changed things for the better in Buffalo.
"I think it's the culture he has built with Brandon Beane very quickly," Clark said. "They took one of the biggest dead cap hits in the history of football to flush that roster. The ability to build it back up that quickly, build a defense with an identity, identify talent and know what they want. One of the things I think that is interesting with Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane is they've been able to integrate mid-level veterans in a way the Patriots have as well. It's something I've talked to both of them about. That's the sign of a good coach, to be able to acclimate those guys really quickly. I'm in on Sean McDermott and I think he's a top ten coach."
Daugherty added onto Clark's comment by saying McDermott has one of the best defensive minds in football.
2. NFL approves three new playing rules for 2020
NFL owners met in a virtual setting on Thursday to vote on several proposals that could be in place for the 2020 season per approval. Three new playing rules were approved and one bylaw was passed. Each item needed a 75 percent vote from owners in order to pass.
Approved 2020 Playing Rules Summary
2. By Philadelphia; to amend Rule 15, Section 2, to make permanent the expansion of automatic replay reviews to include scoring plays and turnovers negated by a foul, and any successful or unsuccessful Try attempt.
8. By Competition Committee; expands defenseless player protection to a kickoff or punt returner who is in possession of the ball but who has not had time to avoid or ward off the impending contact of an opponent.
9. By Competition Committee; prevents teams from manipulating the game clock by committing multiple dead-ball fouls while the clock is running.
Approved 2020 Bylaws Summary
2. By League Office; increases the number of players that may be designated for return from two to three. Incorporates interpretations applicable to bye weeks during the regular season and postseason.
All of the playing rules and bylaw proposals subjected to a vote can be seen by clicking here.
3. Why NFL Network's Steve Mariucci thinks Josh Allen will have success in year 3
NFL Network’s Steve Mariucci shared his thoughts on what he thinks Bills quarterback Josh Allen is capable of in his third season. Like many, Mariucci likes the additions around Allen and thinks it will help him win more games this season.
"Right now the Buffalo Bills are poised to have a heck of a season with Josh Allen in his third year," Mariucci explained. "He's playing with the best defense, a second ranked defense, that got better from last year after drafting A.J. Epenesa. You're talking about adding Stefon Diggs too. You know those stats throwing the ball deep, that has to do with the quarterback but also protection, who are the receivers and those things. Stefon Diggs will really help. Run the ball with young quarterbacks, Devin Singletary and Zack Moss are great."
With an improved defense and Allen continuing to improve after every year, Mariucci believes the Bills can contend for the AFC East title.
"Nobody had more come-from-behind wins than Josh Allen, he had five last year," Mariucci said. "He has to get better at third downs, all young quarterbacks have to get better at third downs and create more third-and-doables for themselves. You're going to find, in my mind, Josh Allen will help the Bills win that division and take over after New England's won the darn thing for 11 years in a row. I think you're going to see the Bills because of maturing Josh Allen and that defense."